Can we just stop with the soda theory now??

182338-425x283-best-selling-sodas

ok, ok, ok – I’m so tired of seeing all these posts from women’s magazine, health magazines, healthy pages, etc that tout giving up soda for weight loss.

“See how Jenny gave up soda and lost 112lbs”

“Sally gave up her daily soda and she is half her size”

“Peggy gave up soda and can now fly”

Like come the hell on! There is absolutely no way that they gave up a soda habit and dropped all this weight. Maybe they stopped drinking soda, started an exercise routine, and started clean eating and over 12 months lost 100+ lbs. I say this cause losing weight is H-A-R-D! It is not a give up your daily soda or latte and you will magically lose weight. STOP SAYING THIS CRAP!

I just hit my 20lbs lost mark this week. I’ve been trying since January. I’ve fallen off the horse. I’ve plateaued and needed to figure out new ways to make it work. Most of it has been in the last 2 months. I got serious and changed my diet drastically. Yes, I still have a soda now and then but usually it is a treat after a really hard workout.

So please stop posting that giving up soda will fix all! It won’t. Please stop believing that giving up soda will cause you to lose all the excess pounds, cause it won’t. Smart eating and regular exercise will help you lose weight!

Good luck in your journey!

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Can we just stop with the soda theory now??

1. Farrah says:

I definitely think giving up soda can help to lose weight (especially when it’s consumed in excess amounts), but it absolutely takes an overall approach with exercising and other healthier dietary choices for it to really make a difference!

2. Tricia@MissSippipiddlin says:

Ahhh but adding all those other steps would not have the same WOW factor as just saying she gave up soda and lost 100lbs! Heck I gave us soda and I can’t say I lost anything….Hi coming to you from the hop. I can tell I already like your #keepingitreal attitude! Don’t ever lose that!

3. Mandy says:

Hi! Wow there are a lot of runners in the Grow your blog hop.
    I don’t believe that cutting out one item from your diet is the key to weight loss. It’s a combination of being aware of what you are eating, drinking and be active.
    It’s a true lifestyle change!

Good job that you already lost 20 lbs! Keep it up.

4. Marissa @ Where I Need to Be says:

I have to disagree. If you’re consuming a lot of excess calories from soda, it can help with weight loss to give it up. Let’s take diet soda, for instance, which has no calories but a lot of chemicals and artificial sweeteners which can cause cravings. Let’s say you give that up and replace it with water. Your body will respond accordingly. Not only will you likely stop craving things that the soda caused you to crave, but you’ll also feel more satiated from your water. This is a simplistic example but the point is that it can have a snowball effect. I agree healthy eating and exercise are also important, but I know people who have experienced weight loss by giving up soda. Maybe not 100 lbs of weight loss, but weight loss all the same.

• triandtrue says:

Then those are some very lucky people you know! I just think it sets an unrealistic precedent that you will lose significant amounts by giving up soda. Maybe if you are at 250+ lbs but in general I think keeping everything else the same and dropping soda isn’t going to cause a huge loss

5. Allyson says:

I agree!!! I love pepsi–I’ve cut back significantly because I know it isn’t good for me. At all. But it has had zilch to do with my weight. It is very frustrating to see headlines that suggest if you give up soda all your problems will be solves.