Ok so I don’t really call what I’m doing a diet. I don’t want to be on a diet. I prefer lifestyle changes or a general lack of “yum”, lol. I started my new weight loss and fitness journey back on December 1. Why did I start a these new choices the beginning of December one of the foodies months of the year? Mainly, because when I decided I was ready to do this I didn’t want to wait until Jan 1.
One thing I didn’t think about was our anniversary cruise in February. On Tuesday, Jon and I will celebrate 5 years of wonderful marriage (times flies kids). To celebrate we did one of our favorite things, a Disney cruise! However, the best part of a Disney cruise truly is the food. I would assume the best part of any cruise is all the food. So, how does someone who is trying to lose weight stay on track with all the temptation?
We did a 3 day/4 night cruise and I’m happy to say that when I got back not only had I lost a pound but I also had another inch in the middle gone. Now I don’t know if these tricks will work for you but here is what I did!
1. WALK EVERYWHERE! I took the stairs every chance I got. I had my vivoactive on the whole time and I clocked lots of steps. Our stateroom was on the 6th floor which meant for food it was 3 flights up. To leave the ship at port it was 6 flights down.
2. STAY ACTIVE – I had planned on doing the Castaway Cay 5K and I did do it. I didn’t skip it because I was tired. Or my bed was comfy. I even ordered room service to be delivered at 6:30am so that we could have coffee and food! I was ready!
3. EAT CLEAN – (Especially leading up to the trip) When I had the choice I ordered everything grilled. Most lunches I choose the fish because it was the cleanest choice at the buffet. I also tracked down the veggies. Which was actually harder than you think but I always had a TON of veggies at lunch.
4. PLATE TRICK – I can’t find the picture I took of the plates but they are HUGE! I remember when I used to fill those plates! However, I noticed the first day that they have a color around the inner outside. So, I never went outside of the white of the plate. This kept me to a normal plate size.
5. INDULGE – I didn’t deny myself anything I truly wanted (hello 2 Grand Marnier soufflés, they are serious like crack to me). Instead of skipping desserts I would split them with Jon. I avoided mixed drinks but did have 2 glasses of wine. We had anniversary reservations at Palo and I even had the most delicious Chocolate Soufflé. I stand by before I die I want to bathe in the Vanilla Bean sauce from Disney!
I’m glad I enjoyed myself while still sticking to my plan. I don’t feel like I missed out on anything or deprived myself of anything. Also, the gym facilities on the Disney cruise ship are top notch! If I had been on a longer cruise I would have utilized that aspect way more (ok so I didn’t use it at all this time except to go see what was there but no judging)!
I hope this might help anyone heading out on the high seas and trying not to add on 5lbs! However, if you are going to add on 5lbs please make it from the freaking soufflés.