A re-introduction

So I’ve been getting a number of new followers lately and I am part of a blog hop this week and I figure now is a good a time as any to say, HI!

6 years ago, when I was 24, I decided I needed something to challenge me. I wanted to do something I had never done before. While flipping through a magazine I found an ad for the Walt Disney Princess half marathon. Somehow, I convinced my friend to do it with me and I had a goal! At that time the race was in March so this was a perfect goal to hit before my 25th birthday.

My first half marathon

My first half marathon

Fast Forward to today and I have done numerous 5K, 10K, half marathons, and I am now working toward marathon number 3. I also have done a handful of sprint triathlons and 1 olympic.

My first Goofy Challenge

My first Goofy Challenge

I actually turned my love of running/triathlon into a career. When I convinced the nonprofit I was working for to add a 5K to their walk and that grew into a series. I then joined up with a local timing company to be their Race Director for 2 triathlons. I have since turned that into managing and race directing for a national event series! Who would have thought that this simple challenge to myself would become my most favorite job!

Love my job!

Love my job!

So that’s pretty much my journey over the last few years. In there I’ve gotten married, gained a few too many pounds, moved from MD to FL, Β and met some of the most amazing people! I’m grateful for all of the great things these sports have brought to me and I can’t wait to see what is yet to come!

Photo2072FourBySix

Me and the hubby!

That’s about where the story leaves off. I’m trying super hard to get better and go faster! Welcome to my journey and I hope you stick around for a bit to join me!

Advertisements

79 thoughts on “A re-introduction

1. olivesanwine says:

Yay for another Florida blogger! I moved to Florida from Chicago last fall so I love finding fellow bloggers and runners in the state πŸ™‚ How awesome is it that you turned your passion into a career?! That’s definitely something to be proud of!

2. Kim Hatting says:

How awesome to have a love for something…and have it evolve into a career! That’s everyone’s dream πŸ˜‰ I’m in Iowa, and would LOVE to do a Disney race someday….I might have to use that trump card to get my family to join me (we have been to Disney World many times, so visiting Mickey is a pretty easy sell).

3. sarahsmithstorm says:

I love that you get to work and let your passion collide all into one! How fun!! I love Rundisney races. If only Michigan wasn’t so far, I’d be signing up for more.

4. Jenn @ RunWithSole says:

Hi there from the blog hop! So you work for IronGirl? That’s awesome! I did the Columbia Triathlon when we lived back in Maryland (Montgomery County). It was my first triathlon! I coached a group for the IronGirl Del Mar 5K and 10K when we first moved here to the San Diego area, and it was great! One of my runners came in 3rd overall for the 10K that year. I was so proud of her. I love the IronGirl series but they stopped hosting the one here in Del Mar. Maybe you could pull some strings (LOL!).

5. Erin says:

Where in Florida are you from? I did the Clearwater Iron Girl half in April of 2013, it was so much fun!! It’s my current Half Marathon PR holder (3:09) I’m looking to beat that in a couple of weeks at the Fort Myers Half!

6. Marissa @ WhereINeedtoBe says:

So nice to e-meet you! I love that you turned your passion into a job you love. I also love that you are the Race Director for Iron Girl! Sandy Hook was my very first Sprint Tri back when it was run by Danskin in 2005 or 2006. I did Iron Girl Sandy Hook again in 2012 and 2013. It will always be my favorite race and hold a special place in my heart!

7. Mandie says:

It makes me so happy when I see people who have turned their passions into their careers! Way to go! What is an olympic run/race? I am so not a runner, so I feel clueless about some of the terms sometimes!

8. HoHo Runs says:

Hi! I’m visiting from the hop. Your journey into running sounds very much like mine, except I was much older. Needing a challenge, I ran the Disney Half Marathon and proceeded to fall in love with running and racing. The half is my favorite distance. It is very awesome you get to work in the field you love!

9. Ellyn @ In Fitness and In Health says:

Hello! I’m stopping by from the blog hop today – so nice to meet you! That’s amazing that you’ve turned what you love into a career. Like many others have said, I am trying to do the same! I can tell instantly in the way you write that this is something you’re incredibly passionate about. That’s amazing! Congrats to you on your journey and I hope to stay in touch! πŸ™‚

• triandtrue says:

Well let’s be honest “princesses”! Who doesn’t love finishing a race and being like “yeah, who’s a princess, I’m a princess” I mean so are 4,000 other women but whatevs

10. Wendy @ Wholistic Woman says:

I love that you were able to turn your passion into a career! So nice to “meet” you. I would love to do a Disney race someday. And I’m planning to get into triathlons next year. I look forward to following your blog so I can keep up with your adventures.

11. Ryanne says:

So nice to meet you! I love that you and your husband run together. I think that’s such a great bonding experience and has so many benefits for your relationship together and also as individuals. I look forward to learning more about you!

12. Sun says:

You have such a fantastic story – I’m glad we were able to meet through the blog hop πŸ™‚ I especially love how you were able to turn your love of fitness into a full-time job and for a national race series like Iron Girl!

13. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

This is my first time dropping by – great to get to know you and your blog! That’s so cool that you’re a race director – I must admit it sounds like it would be a very fun job! I have such admiration for triathlons – congrats on all your success! πŸ™‚

14. runawaybridalplanner says:

That is fabulous, so amazing what that 1 princess half turned into! The fact that you turned it into a career is also amazing! I have been dabbling into turning some of my passions in life into jobs as well. I already do my greatest passion as my main job, but there is always room for more, right:)
    Love that you’ve also turned into tri’s and more, seriously wow you are quite an incredible inspiration on shooting for goals and achieving what you set out to do!!!

15. curlycaroline says:

Awesome story! I love that you have been able to create a passion for something and pursue it as your career. :] that is definitely the dream! looking forward to following your story!

16. missmirandat says:

Hi there! Its so lovely to get to know you through this blog hop! Congratulations on all of your running accomplishments, its so inspiring to see so many dedicated, seasoned runners that are a part of the Sweat Pink Community! I look forward to continuing to follow along your journey! πŸ™‚

17. Matilda Iglesias (@MatildaIglesias) says:

Hi Matilda from runmum.com visiting thanks to the blog hop.

I’m loving this blog hop, it’s so much fun.

Well it’s great to meet you, nice work into turning what you love into a job. It takes a special kind of person to be a race director, and you obviously love it, so keep doing it I say.

Keep being awesome.

18. foodiecology says:

Hi there, I’m visiting from the blog hop. First of all, I think it’s so incredible that you turned your new hobby/passion into a career! I only wish I could do the same. Also, 3 marathons? That’s fantastic. I’ve never even run a half, but I love reading about others’ running journeys. All the best in your continued training.

19. Brandy @ Pounds 2 Miles says:

Hey there! Sounds like you know what it really means to “do what you love and love what you do” Great job, a ton of people work their whole life to turn their passions and hobbies into a career. Way to go!! Keep up the amazing work and I look forward to keeping up with you!

20. chocolaterunnergirl says:

Love this! What a fabulous story of getting to a job you love! So inspiring with all the races you have run! I did the Disney Princess half a few years ago! It was certainly an experience running around Disney!
    I can’t wait to see where your runs take you πŸ™‚

21. Polly says:

Hi Kimberly! How are you? I found your link from the blog hop.
    I admire you for your dedication esp for turning your passion into career (you wont have to think of it as ‘work’ because you love it). Congratulations on all your success!

22. Teri B. says:

Hi Kimberly! What an aweseome job to have that originated from your love of the sport. Thanks for working so hard to help so many reach their dreams through racing the events you put together. Much respect to you! So nice to meet you and find your blog through the hop. I look forward to learning more from you πŸ™‚